First Encounter: It happened in March 1972 when a young missionary was transferred from Winnipeg, Mantoba to St. Paul, Minnesota to work with the Indian people. There was a POW-WOW going on that me and my friend, Wendy was dancing in. We saw a member family there and went to say hello. They asked if we had met the new missionary. I said. "I didn't know we had a new missionary". So Wendy and I went over to welcome in the new missionary, who happened to be Elder Lewis. It was a brief encounter that took only 2-3 minutes, greeting him and shaking his hand. Derwin has always said at that moment HE KNEW he was going to marry me. As Wendy and I walked away, Wendy poked me in the side and said, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I saw how that missionary look at you". I looked over at Wendy and said "Shut up". (she didn't realize she was a witness to something more)
Missionary Call: Derwin was interviewed for his mission by his Bishop. He came home and asked his Dad if he could take a two year vacation (from the bees). His parents were extremely happy that Derwin was going on a mission. His Stake President set him apart and when he stood up to shake the Stake President's hand the Stake President said, "okay Elder I want you to go out there and find your wife". Derwin's Mom came all unglued because he was not going out to find a wife but to preach the gospel. Derwin was extremely shy with girls and would turn the single woman contact over to another set of missionaries much to the upset of his companion. Until he met me. When he met me he only had six weeks left on his mission.
Guess My Name: Not very long after our first meeting the elders were over to Wendy's house doing some teaching and I was there, I noticed that on their scriptures their names were embossed but on one it said, "Elder Michael Butler" and the other it said, "Elder D. Lewis". So I asked, "Well what's your name anyway?" Elder Lewis answered, "It's a name you will never guess". So Wendy and I started guessing all the common "D" guy names with no luck. "So what is your name then?" I asked. "One you have never heard and in fact only one other person has it and he is my uncle who I was named after................DERWIN. I looked up at him and said, "I have so heard that name and I know exactly when and where it was. Bartholmew Cubbins by Dr. Suess, the kingdom is ruled by KING DERWIN. At that moment I could see the little 5 year old girl with that book opened on her lap sitting on her Grandma's couch wondering about King Derwin. I knew this missionary was going to be my "KING DERWIN"
I wrote this so you can see how heavenly father had such an influence in our lives to put us together.
Derwin & Becky Lewis
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
What a wonderful love story for a beautiful couple! Love you both!
LOVE that sweet story and how it blessed my life, with a wonderful aunt/uncle team! Thanks for sharing your story and for following the Spirit to find your happily ever after. Love you!
Post a Comment